Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Yeah, I'd Fire 'Em, Too!

From the Sydney Morning Herald comes the story of three former waiters (Larry, Moe, and Curly?) who claim they were fired by New York's posh 21 Club for being French. They've backed up their claim by filing a $5 million lawsuit claiming discrimination.

Not to give anyone the idea that I'd be in favor of discrimination, but I think I know the French. Rude, obnoxious, boastful, prideful, lazy. Oh, and anti-American. Shall I go on?

Wake up, guys! You weren't fired for being French. You were fired for acting French. You don't drink on the job and you don't get into arguments with the chef over a hamburger, even if the hamburger costs $39. You can hurl insults at Americans when you're a waiter in a restaurant in France, and maybe wine is so ubiquitous in France that drinking on the job is part of the culture, but this is America. Maybe nobody ever gets fired in France, either. But this is America. People can lose their jobs here. It's part of the reason our unemployment rate is 5 percent while yours is 12 percent. American businesses hire and they fire. From what I've read about France, once hired, never fired is the rule. That's why your companies won't hire anybody. Get it?

If the case of the French waiters goes before a jury, I'd bet on the 21 Club coming out a winner. And their customers, too!

Link

1 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Blogger Ronald M. Ayers said...

I was partly exaggerating for effect in stereotyping the french. Still, I can remember the late Johnny Carson, former host of the Tonight Show, complaining about how rude everyone is in France. Has anyone every spent an extended period of time there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home