Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Two ID Cards--One Straight and One in Drag

Jay Abraham's consulting fee is $5,000 an hour. When you're a marketing genius, you can charge that much and some businesspeople will gladly pay it. Why not? If that $5,000 expense puts, let's say $100,000 in profit in your pocket, then it's an expense easily justified.

From Chapter 1 of Jay's book, Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got comes this example of proactive, client friendly service:

The Royal Bank of Scotland issues two high-security check cashing cards to its transvestite clients β€” one with a photo of them dressed as a man, and the other as a woman. A bankspokesman said: If any cross-dressing clients go shopping dressed as a woman, it s possible for them to have a second card so they can avoid embarrassment or difficulties when paying by check.

If more businesses put this kind of thought into their customer relations, there would be fewer business failures. That would be good for the owners and the workers they employ. And good for the economy, too.

I wish Jay Abraham would put more of his wisdom down in the form of the written word. He's recently started his own blog, but I'd like to see more of his ideas in book form. Books are the cheapest way to get knowledge. Jay does personal appearances, but I can't afford the $25,000 he charges each attendee for those. His other materials are also pretty pricey. Jay may or may not have ever taken an economics course (I don't know for sure), but he has an intuitive grasp of price discrimination. Indeed, if I were a businessperson, I'd be impressed with the many techniques that Jay Abraham utilizes to earn money. Perhaps the most important technique is summed up in Jay's philosophy:

You must understand and appreciate exactly what your clients need when they do business with you β€” even if they are unable to articulate that exact result themselves. Once you know what final outcome they need, you lead them to that outcome β€” you become a trusted advisor who protects them. And they have reason to remain your client for a lifetime.

Marketing 101, The Gospel According to Jay. Amen!

Link

12 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger Michelle G. said...

I agree with "Two ID Cards", but I wonder if Jay believes he will make more money by making his ideas so expensive? Or, will he make more money by your idea of more book writing?

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Vince said...

In my opinion anyone who can rip off people like he has should join our U.S. government! He is a bright man and my hat goes off to him! Just wish I could afford to meet him so he could sell me some of his con-artist knowledge!

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger tasha said...

I think that is a pretty smart idea to pull people into his business, but he is clearly only for the big dogs.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Raquel.S said...

I think he is smart and he's using his assets any way possible to maximize his profit. Who wouldn't want to maximize their profits.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Niesha said...

For $5000 I would get a plan of all the information that I would try and absorb from this guy. He’s very bright for getting people to pay his this amount but the person getting the information should try to maximize the amount of knowledge they are purchasing.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger david burnett said...

I think that cross dressers having two id cards is a form of impersonation or fraud. Thats not right for someone to be able to live two different lives because they don't want to feel,"embarassed." The fact of the matter is that if they were so embarassed why are they living that lifestyle in the first place. I wonder if it is possible soon for people to marry themselves and try and adopt a child. There basis would be that they would be able to provide a healthy lifestyle as a mother and a father!Well how rediculous does that sound...very. Its the same thing as having to forms of identity. I give a big stamp of disapproval to submitting this as a law or anything like that. Its flat out gross in the first place.

David Burnett

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Alyson S. said...

I agree whole-heartedly with David, if you don't want to be embarrassed, don't be a cross-dresser!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I agree with the "Two ID Cards" myself because there are lots of people out there not only men but women also that are cross-dressing and there needs to be ways that they can identify with themselves as both men as women and women as men. This is a good idea and for anyone that can afford him will benefit greatly. He obviously knows how to use his assets to his benefit.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Jennifer C. said...

Just another one of the many many ways people will do anything to make a lot of money:)

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Maria S said...

I don't think that cross dressers, should be given the privelege to carry around two ID Card's. After all if I'm not mistaken, you are not allowed to carry two driver's lisence, you can get a ticket, for that. So I believe that two ID card's, is wrong, especially if it's just to prevent them from being embarresed.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger mcerda said...

After reading some of these comments, I realize that there is a lot of ignorance in the world. I am only talking about the ones that can comment so negatively, but do not know what it is like to live in their shoes. Say for instance their children or loved ones choose this lifestyle plainly not only by choice, but because that is who they are, would you yourself be embarrased of them? Well, they don't want you to be, they just want your undestanding that they are people too who live in a lifestyle that is different then the "norm", but not necessarily wrong.
I agree with having two i.d. cards, and was a smart idea.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Y Nicholson said...

I do not agree with the two ID card idea just as maria s. said if people are not allowed to have two drivers licence nobody no matter what their excuse is should be allowed to have two ID cards. If you are a cross dresser you should not be embarassed of it so this is not an excuse to carrying two forms of ID. I know mcerda thinks this is negative thinking but it's not if somebody in my family decided to do this I would support it but I wouldn't if they are embarassed of showing their true identity.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home