Saturday, March 11, 2006

QuickTake: Picture of a Ticking Time Bomb: The Hayward Fault Line


This picture of the Hayward fault line is one of three pictures of Bay Area fault lines in the linked story. When the big quake comes, scientists predict 155,000 housing units will be destroyed. I don't have my New Orleans statistics in front of me, but I do know that the Bay Area is more heavily populated than the Big Easy. A big quake could make the Katrina disaster look like small potatoes. Can FEMA come up with 155,000 trailers overnight?

Much devastation and misery await. Of course, there's a good reason to build a city on the fault line. That reason is also clearly seen in the picture. The large, safe harbor is a world leader in shipping.

What I want to know is how will the bloggers on the left blame George Bush for the quake! They'll try. And one other question: We name hurricanes, why not earthquakes?

Just asking.

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home